Ana Isabel Baamonde Arbaiza
Ana I. Baamonde obtained a degree in Medicine and Surgery from the Universidad de Oviedo, for which she presented her dissertation on "antagonists of calcium and sodium nitroprusside in innervated and non-innervated intestinal smooth muscle in vitro” in 1983. She completed her PhD thesis on "the influence of different hormonal states on pain, temperature and behaviour: the relationship to opioids and modification due to stress” in 1988.
Between 1989 and 1990, she realised a postdoctoral fellowship on "effects mediated by delta opioid receptors in vivo" at the Organic Chemistry Laboratory of the Université René Descartes in Paris.
She has worked on several lines of research over the course of her career: drugs that modulate calcium-dependent processes in smooth and striated muscle (1983); the pharmacology of experimental pain – endogenous opioids (1984-90); the effects of steroids on GABA and opioid receptors (1991-98); calmodulin inhibitors (1995-98), and neoplastic pain (since 1999).
|Baamonde Arbaiza, Ana||Universidad de Oviedo||Research/Teaching||R3|
|Barreiro Alonso, Eva||SESPA||Research/Clinical||R2|
|Bordallo Landa, Javier||Universidad de Oviedo||Research/Teaching||R3|
|Brid Castañón, Teresa||SESPA||Research/Clinical||R2|
|Cantabrana Plaza, Begoña||Universidad de Oviedo||Research/Teaching||R3|
|Fierro Roza, José Fernando||Universidad de Oviedo||Research/Teaching||R3|
|Gayoso Rodríguez, María Antonieta||SESPA||Research/Clinical||R2|
|González Rodríguez, Sara||Universidad de Oviedo||Research||R2|
|Hidalgo Balsera, Agustín||Universidad de Oviedo||Research/Teaching||R3|
|Iglesias Carbajo, Ana Isabel||SESPA||Research/Clinical||R2|
|Menéndez Antolín, Luis||Universidad de Oviedo||Research/Teaching||R3|
|Sánchez Fernández, Manuel||Universidad de Oviedo||Research/Teaching||R3|
|Andrés Gómez, Teresa||Universidad de Oviedo||Research||No classification|
|González García, María||SESPA||Research/Clinical||No classification|
|Suárez García, Lorena||Universidad de Oviedo||Research||No classification|
Assessment of the effects produced by analgesics.
- Evaluating the effect and determining the mechanisms involved in the analgesia produced by the chemokine CCL4.
- Studying the possible synergy between CCL4 and enkephalin-degradation inhibitors in relation to the analgesic effect and possible anti-tumour action
- Assessing other possibilities for producing analgesia related to CC-series chemokines
The role of polyamines in the physiopathology of inflammatory and tumour processes. The regulation of ion channels by sexual steroids in tumour cell models.
- Characterising the regulation of ion channels by sexual steroids in tumour cell models (pituitary adenomas; breast and prostate cancer).
- Studying the influence of trace endogenous polyamines and amines on inflammatory and tumour processes, and their possible role as physiopathological markers.
Social studies of medicinal products.
Delivering the Social Pharmacology course, which deals with a range of issues related to the social repercussions of medicinal products, as well as potential social influences upon their use.
Research on Medical Education
- Communication of a strategy for teaching the relevant literature in medical education.
- Analysis of the consistency between the profile of students admitted onto the Medicine degree and the decisions students express about studying medicine.
- Analysis, through student questionnaires, of the reasons for enrolling on the Medicine degree, with a particular focus on features that demonstrate a vocation for medicine.
- Communication of studies conducted on the research competencies included in the Medicine degree and the experience gained as part of the Oviedo qualification.
- Analysis of the educational value of reading as part of the training of future doctors.
- Early immersion in clinical practice through the production of medical histories.
- Evaluation of the role of reading works of art in the emotional education of medical students.
- Evaluation of the role of producing scientific and medical essays in building medical students’ capacity for critical analysis.
- Pevida M, González-Rodríguez S, Lastra A, García-Suárez O, Hidalgo A, Menéndez L, Baamonde A. Involvement of Spinal Chemokine CCL2 in the Hyperalgesia Evoked by Bone Cancer in Mice: A Role for Astroglia and Microglia. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2014;34:143-156
- Pevida M, Lastra A, Hidalgo A, Baamonde A, Menéndez L. Spinal CCL2 and microglial activation are involved in paclitaxel-evoked cold hyperalgesia. Brain Res Bull. 2013;95:21-27:
- Pevida M, Lastra A, Meana A, Hidalgo A, Baamonde A, Menéndez L. The chemokine CCL5 induces CCR1-mediated hyperalgesia in mice inoculated with NCTC 2472 tumoral cells. Neuroscience 2014;259:113-125
- María Llorián-Salvador, Marta Pevida, María Teresa Fernández-García, Ana Lastra, Álvaro Obaya, Santiago Cal, Agustín Hidalgo, Luis Menéndez and Ana Baamonde.Hypernociceptive responses following the intratibial inoculation of RM1 prostate cancer cells in mice. Prostate 2015;75:70-83
- Llorián-Salvador M, González-Rodríguez S, Lastra A, Fernández-García MT, Hidalgo A, Menéndez L, Baamonde A. Involvement of CC Chemokine Receptor 1 and CCL3 in Acute and Chronic Inflammatory Pain in Mice. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2016;119:32-40
- Llorián-Salvador M, Pevida M, González-Rodríguez S, Lastra A, Fernández-García MT, Hidalgo A, Baamonde A, Menéndez L. Analgesic effects evoked by a CCR2 antagonist or an anti-CCL2 antibody in inflamed mice. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2016;30(3):235-47
- Sánchez M, Suárez L, Cantabrana B, Bordallo J. Estradiol modified prolactin secretion independently of action potentials and Ca2+ and blockade of outward potassium currents in GH3 cells. Naunyn-Schmiedeberg's Arch Pharmacol 2017;390:95-104.
- Sánchez M, Suárez L, Andrés MT, Flórez BH, Bordallo J, Riestra S, Cantabrana B. Modulatory effect of intestinal polyamines and trace amines on the spontaneous phasic contractions of the isolated ileum and colon rings of mice. Food & Nutrition Research 2017;61: 1321948.
- González-Rodríguez S, Poras H, Menéndez L, Lastra A, Ouimet T, Fournié-Zaluski MC, Roques BP, Baamonde A. Synergistic combinations of the dual enkephalinase inhibitor PL265 given orally with various analgesic compounds acting on different targets, in a murine model of cancer-induced bone pain. Scand J Pain. 2017;14:25-38.
- González-Rodríguez S, Álvarez MG, García-Domínguez M, Lastra A, Cernuda-Cernuda R, Folgueras AR, Fernández-García MT, Hidalgo A, Baamonde A, Menéndez L. Hyperalgesic and hypoalgesic mechanisms evoked by the acute administration of CCL5 in mice. Brain Behav Immun. 2017;62:151-161.
- Brid T, Sacristán de Lama MP, González N, Baamonde A. Topical gabapentin as add-on therapy for trigeminal neuralgia. A case report. Pain Med. 2017;18:1824-1826.
|Principal Investigator||Title||Funding Body / Reference No||Duration||Amount|
|Ana Baamonde Arbaiza||Mechanisms involved in the hyperalgesic effect of the chemokine CCL2 in experimental neoplastic pain||FICYT (Foundation for the Promotion of Applied Scientific Research and Technology in Asturias) - FEDER (Spanish Federation of Rare Diseases)
|Manuel Sánchez Fernández||Biomedical applications of artificial tissue models in toxicity and permeability tests for topical preparations. BIO-TEAR project.||Fundación Universidad de Oviedo
|March 2017-June 2018||€10,000|
|Ana Baamonde Arbaiza||Exploration of the analgesic potential of CC-series chemokines||SAF 2017-86799-R||January 2018-December 2021||€100,000|
|Supervisors||Title||PhD Student||Organisation||Date of Viva|
|Ana Baamonde||Involvement of the CCL2 and CCL5 chemokines in experimental neoplastic pain models||Marta Pevida López||Universidad de Oviedo||2014|
|Ana Baamonde||Involvement of the CCL2 and CCL3 chemokines in the pain derived from the intraosseous inoculation of prostate cancer cells and in experimental inflammatory pain||María Llorián Salvador||Universidad de Oviedo||2016|
|Agustín Hidalgo Balsera||The prevalence of inappropriate polypharmacy and drug prescription according to the STOPP-START criteria.||Francisco Muñoz González||Universidad de Oviedo||12/6/2017|
|Agustín Hidalgo Balsera||Analysis of changes in usage of drugs affected by the informative safety notices issued by AEMPS (Spanish Agency for Medicinal Products and Medical Devices) from 2003 to 2015 in primary healthcare in Asturias||Ana Isabel Iglesias Carbajo||Universidad de Oviedo||14/07/2017|